Street Signs

There were a few interesting street signs in Australia.  This is what their speed limit signs look like.  Now, don’t worry too much.  It isn’t 100 miles per hour.  It’s 100 kilometers per hour.  This roughly equates to 60 mph which is pretty standard.  It was still shocking at first to see these signs because it took a little while to get used to using the metric system for all measurements, including distances, weights, and temperature, especially.  I also saw some of these signs:

I did not see these signs the whole time I was in Townsville, though.  It wasn’t until the last week when I was visiting Melbourne and Sydney that I saw these signs.  I think that it is probably due to the fact that they are larger, more tourist-y cities than Townsville is, so they need to remind the tourists of this.  Luckily, I was already used to this and I even found that for at least a month, when I returned to the U.S., I still looked right and then left when crossing the street.  It’s a wonder I haven’t been killed yet.  When I was in Australia, I did not drive at all.  I usually just walked, biked, caught a ride, or took the bus to get to various places.  It did take a little while before I was used to looking right and then left, but apparently, once I learned it, it stuck with me.

There were also other signs that had slight differences that I enjoyed.  For instance, the walking legs

This was just a standard pedestrian walkway sign but, as you can see, it only shows walking legs as opposed to the two people that we have on our signs.

No Comment